🌍 CultureMee Selected To Join Booking Cares Lab 🚀
Here are the other innovators participating in the programme, we’re really looking forward to meeting them all:
A huge thank you to Booking.com for inviting to this programme. We are thrilled to be given the opportunity to work with Booking.com, Amsterdam city and other innovative start-ups and non-profits to help address some of the challenges around over-tourism.
The Booking Cares Lab Amsterdam called for innovators to develop solution-specific project plans around one of the following themes:
- Tourism Dispersal: relieving pressure on crowded tourist areas;
- Inclusive Growth: making sure that everyone in the city benefits from the growing tourism opportunity, including an even more diverse array of local businesses;
- Behavioural Awareness: educating travellers about how to act more like a local, including tackling topics related to littering and street pollution, noise control, and waste management, i.e. recycling and sorting, etc.
We see over-tourism as partly a quantity issue (i.e. too many tourists) but also a quality issue (e.g. the type of tourists who visit, but also the cultural behaviours of the tourists who visit).
For example, many tourists walk on the cycle lanes in Amsterdam which really annoys the locals. Or in London many tourists just jump on to the underground train without forming an orderly queue and letting the people get off the train in an orderly manner. Or in Australia where taking photos of local Aboriginal people or landmarks drives the locals crazy.
Big picture, if people can be more culturally aware before getting to the destination, we feel it can reduce a lot of the cultural friction between tourists and locals and this is where our CultureMee app fits in.
For more information on the Booking Cares Labs as well as Booking.com’s other programmes around sustainable tourism, see here:
- Welcome To Japan 🇯🇵: The Home Of Culture Shock! So you have just arrived in Japan, the home of culture shock. What are you going... posted on March 12, 2018
- Buying Business Travel Article | The Culture Club Buying Business Travel's Matt Parsons goes deep on how culture impacts your travel program... posted on July 16, 2019
- 🇬🇧 CultureMee Interviewed by “Heathrow: Britain’s Busiest Airport” Thank you to all the ITV and Raw team for interviewing John from CultureMee in Heathr... posted on April 10, 2019
- Hofstede and Culture “Studying culture without experiencing culture shock is like practicing swimming... posted on November 5, 2017
- ⚠️ CultureMee Job Alert | We Are Looking For A Rocket Launcher https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFul621ZjJ4&feature=youtu.be 🚀 Do you love to tr... posted on January 29, 2019
- DCU Ryan Academy Female High Flyers Programme A big thank you to everyone at DCU Ryan Academy for having me on the #FemaleHighFlyer... posted on January 2, 2019
- Goodbye Amsterdam ❤️ “Van een feest, komt een feest.” I love this Dutch proverb, which translates... posted on November 3, 2017
- What The 🌍 Construction Industry Taught Me About Culture There is a lot the construction industry can teach us about working across cultures. An... posted on August 7, 2018
- 🌍 CultureMee: Global Youth Travel Awards Winner 🚀 CultureMee has been announced as a winner of the Global Youth Travel Awards in t... posted on September 22, 2018
- Joe Dalton | Dublin City FM Business Eye | Radio Interview Joe Dalton Business Coach Interviews John Lee From CultureMee | Dublin South FM posted on July 12, 2019