Frequently Asked Questions
What is the CultureMee app?
CultureMee is the first app in the world to help people with culture shock when they travel. We do this by giving you a high level culture overview and providing practical travel advice around do’s and don’ts and stuff to generally avoid doing to drive the locals crazy. You can also compare your culture to the culture you’re travelling to using graphs from world renowned culture expert Dr. Geert Hofstede.
We have just launched our video platform which shows you videos by ‘locals’ or videos by people who have visited that country (‘non-locals’). You can then filter by a number of tags such as culture shock, culture tips, business culture, etc. If you have any videos you’d like to upload, feel free as we’re an open source platform for culture!
On top of this we also provide practical travel advice including topics such as visas, vaccinations and plugs.
If you would like to know more about the app, see our short video here:
If you would like to know more about our co-founders Dee and John, see this video here:
For a longer explainer video around app functionality, see here:
How do I watch or upload culture videos?
See our explainer video here for how to view/upload culture videos:
There are two ways to upload culture videos, either by clicking on a country and then going to ‘Local’ or ‘Non-Local’ videos.
Or you can click on the main menu (top left button) and select Culture Videos. Here you can upload culture videos by clicking on the top right + sign.
Who do I contact if I notice any inappropriate videos (e.g. Pornographic, copyrighted, etc.)?
We try our best to prevent inappropriate videos being uploaded by regularly checking content uploaded to our CultureMee platform. We are also in the process of having automated checks built in to prevent inappropriate content from being uploaded in the first place.
However, if somehow you see any inappropriate content, while in the CultureMee app, just click on the top right corner and select “Flag as inappropriate” and this video will be immediately sent to us and we will review it asap.
We take all inappropriate content very seriously, and this includes, amongst others:
- Pornographic or sexually explicit material
- Racist material or any material which causes incitement to hatred
- Copyrighted material uploaded without the owner’s permission
The above list is not exhaustive but any notifications of inappropriate content from users will be taken seriously. CultureMee is not liable for any 3rd party content used. It is the responsibility of each user to comply with 3rd party copyright laws.
Any users posting inappropriate content will be liable to have their account suspended or deleted. The CultureMee team reserve the right to suspend or delete users and also reserve the right to take down any content deemed inappropriate.
How do I see where my friends have travelled?
See this short explainer video which goes through how to see where your friends have travelled to:
Once your friends have download the CultureMee app and filled in the countries they have travelled to, you can see where they have travelled in two ways:
- Click on any country and you will see the avatars (social media pictures) of the first 5 people (at the moment you cannot click on the avatars but future versions of the app will have this).
- You can also access your friends’ travel map by clicking on the main menu and selecting My Friends. Click on the avatar of any of your friends and you can immediately access where they have travelled.
What is the travel map feature?
See this short explainer video which goes through how to use the CultureMee travel map functionality:
You add countries to your travel map by going to the country search menu (which you see when you open the app) and clicking on the bottom right button (location button). This adds these countries to your travel map.
You can also add favourite countries to your app by clicking on the button just to the left of the location button on the bottom right.
I’m having problems running the app, who can help me?
If you run into any technical problems, don’t hesitate to get in touch. You can do so by either using the Send Us Feedback button on the main menu within the app or by emailing us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll try to get back to you asap.
Why do I have to login via google or facebook to access the app?
We have certain in-built features in the app which make use of your existing social media profile. Below are some examples:
- In order for you to be able to see who of your friends have visited a country, we match the social media profiles of your friends with people who have already downloaded the CultureMee app.
- We need to know what country you are from in order to be able to use the Compare Your Culture functionality.
- When you upload culture videos, we can automatically detect, once you are logged in, whether you are a Local or Non-Local.
How do you use the app?
See our three short explainer videos below to see how to use our CultureMee app.
Key functionality explainer: https://youtu.be/r-jPvUVw6HA
How to use Culture videos: https://youtu.be/ucqD_ViYxdg
How to use Travel Map: https://youtu.be/OpLyWYkWZG4
Once you log-in with your social media accounts (Facebook or Google), you simply search the country you are interested in learning more about.
Once in a country, you can then click on the section you’re most interested in.
The top section contains culture videos.
- Click on Local videos for videos by people from that country.
- Click on Non-Local videos for videos from people who have lived in or visited that country.
The middle section provides practical culture advice.
The bottom section provides practical travel advice.
For visas, vaccinations and plugs, click on the ‘Must Know’ section.
Why do some countries have extensive travel and culture information, while others only have basic info and the culture videos?
Dee and John have spent 3 years putting together the culture and travel information for over 70 countries. These countries include:
- Every country in Europe
- A number of countries in Asia (China, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan)
- Some other highly visited countries around the world (including the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and South Africa). So for these countries, you will see extensive information around travel and culture.
However, as we’re only 2 people, we have not yet covered every country in the world, so for the other countries, we have much more limited information. That is why we created the culture video platform, to put people who use our app in the driving seat so they can create their own culture stories and share their perspective on culture with the world.
How many countries do you currently cover?
We currently cover 70 countries, including every country in Europe and the top 10 most visited outside Europe (including USA, Mexico, Canada, China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, South Africa). We are in the process of adding South-East Asia in the coming months.
Where is the Compare Your Culture information from?
The Compare Your Culture section is based on the research from Dr. Geert Hofstede which we have licensed from Hofstede Insights (hofstede-insights.com). For more information, please see the About section of the app (go to Main Menu and click on About section).
What is the Culture Compass app in the main menu?
The Culture Compass is a separate paid app from Hofstede Insights (hofstede-insights.com).
Who do I contact if I notice any errors?
We’re not perfect and we may make mistakes from time to time, despite our best efforts. If you notice any errors, don’t hesitate to get in touch. You can do so by either using the Send Us Feedback button on the main menu within the app or by emailing us directly at email@example.com and we’ll try to get back to you asap.
I am interested in partnering with CultureMee, how do I find out more?
We’d love to hear from you! Please contact Dee directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for any partnership enquiries.
I am a journalist interested in writing about CultureMee, how do I obtain more information about CultureMee?
We’re very passionate about our story and are always happy to share our journey with the world. Please get in touch with Dee directly at email@example.com and we’d be glad to see what we can do to help.
Below are some resources to help give some initial background:
Dee & John intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLhqZun2HXw
I am interested in investing in CultureMee, who do I speak to?
Both Dee and John are accountants, but trust us when we say numbers are not our true passion! Our passion is travel and bringing culture to the world ????. If that is something you’d be interested in, then please contact John directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s meet for a coffee.
We always enjoy talking to people who have worked in the trenches and experienced what it is like building (or supporting) globally scalable startup communities, preferably in the travel space, so if that sounds like you (either as a potential investor or mentor), then let’s have a chat.
Looking to the next year, we will need mentors and/or board members to help challenge and steer us with a particular focus on these areas:
- Quickly scaling a community around culture
- Leveraging existing partnerships and helping create new ones in the travel space
- Using artificial intelligence to drive unique insights into how culture impacts travel and vice versa
- Hofstede and Culture “Studying culture without experiencing culture shock is like practicing swimming w... posted on November 5, 2017
- Welcome To Japan 🇯🇵: The Home Of Culture Shock! So you have just arrived in Japan, the home of culture shock. What are... posted on March 12, 2018
- 🇮🇪 National Startup Awards Nomination “Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you... posted on May 2, 2018
- Q&A: John Lee (CultureMee Co-founder) From: Ballyclough, Co. Limerick, Ireland How do yourself and Dee manage b... posted on November 5, 2017
- Erasmus 🇮🇪 Ireland article http://eurireland.ie/2017/08/02/experience-13-a-really-special-experience-where-we-rea... posted on November 1, 2017
- Goodbye Amsterdam ❤️ “Van een feest, komt een feest.” I love this Dutch proverb, which translates... posted on November 3, 2017
- Q&A: Dee Lee (CultureMee Founder & CEO) From: Drumshanbo, Co. Leitrim, Ireland So, Dee, tell us about CultureMee?... posted on November 5, 2017
- 👨👩👧 Our Story “If it doesn’t happen, make it happen!” Where to start with the story of Cult... posted on October 24, 2017
- ✈️ Moving To Asia 🌏 “Is heaven a place in the sky? Heaven is what we wear in our heart and in our... posted on November 3, 2017
- 🇮🇪 Irish startup + global 🇫🇮 Finnish culture consultancy = Magic 💥🎉🎉🎉 We are delighted to announce that CultureMee will be partnering with Hofstede Insights... posted on March 14, 2018